One Mean Chickadee

Thursday, October 07, 2004

Negligence, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Blog

This is not going well. If I'm going to let days, weeks go by without posting, then what's the point? And why, pray tell, have I not been posting? Let's list the reasons and then deconstruct them, shall we?

1. Lack of time. This one is obviously a blatant if convenient lie. Though I'm married and work full time, I do not have children, and as anyone with children will tell you, anyone without children has plenty of time--they just don't realize it! And it's true! I can't tell you how much time Jackspatula and I spend watching movies (or crappy T.V.), reading, cooking elaborate meals, playing chess, fooling around on the computer, going out, visiting friends, etc.--and don't even get me started on the online poker thing. I do not lack time. It must be something else.
2. Lack of energy. There is some truth to that sometimes, but . . . nah, see above. Another lame excuse.
3. Lack of desire to write after spending all day at work writing, editing, composing e-mails, etc. Ah, we're getting warmer. Still not quite there, though. It must be a combination of this (actually very valid) reason and . . .
4. Lack of focus. Eureka! That's it. What is this thing supposed to be about, anyway? Why am I doing this . . . why does anyone do this? Other people I know do not seem to have this problem of overanalyzing their reasons, motives, trying to find a "blog theme," etc. They just hit the ground running. So typical of me to worry about it too much--so much so that I wind up abandoning it altogether. I worry about the topics, the audience (as if I even have an audience), the tone, the direction . . .

So, no more! No more worrying! Don't think, just write!

Part of the problem is that I think I conceived this whole thing as having a political theme, but I'm so sick of politics I could scream. It's ugly out there. Ugly and tiring. I've had some not-very-pleasant confrontations with friends over the election lately, and I'm frankly sick of the whole thing. Not one person I know is one of those freaks known as "the undecided voter." Not one of us is going to change the mind of any of the others. Why are we bothering, why do we continue to have these never-ending circular arguments? Even worse than how annoying the whole thing has become, it's also started to bore me. Why would I be inspired to write about something that lately is boring me to death?

We're definitely making progess here.

On to the random thoughts and brilliant observations that everyone who bothers to read a blog is looking for!

As soon as I have one, I'll let you know.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger David said…

    Take it from someone who has been reading dedicated bloggers for several years now and has been a blogger his-own-self for nigh on 2.5 months . . . thinking just gets you into trouble AND brilliance is overrated.

    If you want to be brilliant then quit and write the great American novel. Blogging is the great American spewfest. Isn't that what the internet is all about anyway? Just spouting random crap anytime you want. It's a release. Go ahead and rant.

    Ultimately, I started doing this as a new way of sending out the stuff I used to do in email form. I already had a built-in, captive audience that hasn't yet bludgeoned me over the head. Now I do it cause I'm egotistical and I find it fun and creative.

    So, go for it. I simply enjoy reading everyone's thoughts, views, and opinions.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home