One Mean Chickadee

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Let's try this again . . .

Anyone who reads my blog is very familiar with the experience of logging on to my blog (which, ideally, is stored in their "Favorites" folder) with great anticipation . . . only to be disappointed again and again. Why? Because there is no new blog entry. Why? Because I don't blog enough. Why?

We all know the answer to that, don't we, people? It's the demon, the mistress, the bane of my existence, my precious . . . online poker.

Online poker to me is what The Ring is to Gollum. (Wow, my LOTR-fanatic coworkers are going to be so impressed! Not only did I pull off a particularly astute analogy, I even remembered the name of the little freaky creature, and I think I even spelled it right!) Time and time again, I go to the computer with every intention of blogging . . . and there's that little UltimateBet icon just sitting on my desktop, calling to me. All those online poker ads they show on T.V. about every 5 seconds are right--it is so easy, just a couple clicks and you're in a game, any time, day or night!

But I have a new plan, and I must say, it's pretty fucking brilliant. When I'm torn between blogging and playing online poker, why not blog . . . [dramatic pause] . . . ABOUT online poker! It is perfect, isn't it?

Now, for those of you who are completely and utterly sick of hearing me talk about online poker all the time (and that's probably all of you), don't worry--I'm not going to blog only about online poker. It will just be an incentive to get me on the blog, where I will give my poker update and then go on with my usual rants and raves and bitching. I've been inspired by this fellow blogher ("blogher" is a female blogger--get it?), whose site Dr. Actually turned me on to this past week. If you've got some time, check it out--good stuff.

Anyway, here's my resolution: to try to blog every other day, and to never let three days go by without blogging. (Please stop laughing in disbelief. Really, stop it.)

And so, without further ado, I present the very first

POKER UPDATE: I played for about two hours last night after Jackspatula and I got home from a party. Last night was unusual in that I played a ring game rather than a tournament. (For the uninitiated, a ring game is just a regular game, where you sit at a table and play for as long as you want, with all of your money or as much of it as you want to bring to the table. In a tournament, you pay a set fee--for me, it's usually $10 or $20--and get a certain number of chips, and you play until you win or get knocked out.) It was also unusual in that I played limit instead of no-limit. I brought $100 to the table, and over the course of two hours I went up and down continuously between $80 and about $130. When I finally quit, I had $120, so I was up $20--a fairly good run! (And much better than finishing down $100, which has happened in the past.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home