One Mean Chickadee

Monday, August 29, 2005

A Childhood More Messed Up Than Mine (or Yours)

I have a new favorite author, and I simply must share. While in Seattle, I borrowed a book from Christine called Running_With_Scissors, by Augusten Burroughs. It's a memoir, and I should warn you about two things: 1) I could not put it down, and 2) it's not for everyone. It's outrageous, fantastic, hilarious, often unbelievable, and sometimes very offensive. In other words, everything genius should be. His honesty is, well . . . shocking. (If I haven't managed to pique your interest yet, give me a call when you wake up from your coma, and I'll try again.) I won't give anything away, but let's just say his childhood was . . . extremely unusual. It was also very conducive to his becoming a writer and producing a shocking memoir. It's a truth of writing that those of us who still have family and friends who we care about and do not wish to hurt or offend simply cannot be as open and honest in our writing as we sometimes wish we could, especially not in a memoir. Burroughs does not have these hang-ups. This is a mixed blessing, however, and a dubious one, since his background also led to certain events and behaviors that produced his second memoir . . .

Dry, which I immediately bought and consumed in two days after finishing Scissors in two days. It was equally supurb. Also enlightening. If you've ever worried that maybe you drink a little too much, read this book and be reassured. You will think, "Well, at least I don't go through a fifth of Dewar's every night, followed oftentimes by a few bottles of hard cider that I don't even remember opening, and at least I've never dabbed cologne all over my tongue in the morning to try to mask the stench of alcohol and then show up to work reeking like a distillery anyway, and at least I don't sleep through important client meetings on a regular basis, and at least I don't have almost 1,500 empty beer bottles lying all over my apartment and not even realize it." (Of course, I also haven't cleaned up my act and gone on to write two bestselling memoirs, but that's for another period of reflection.) Am I giving something away by saying that Burroughs became a raging alcoholic? I'll say no more--just read these books.

Speaking of addictions, I haven't gotten enough of him yet. I got his novel (Sellevision) and his latest memoir (Magical Thinking) from the library and will dig in soon. You should join me.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:24 PM, Blogger Sven Golly said…

    Thanks for the tip. I'm on the reserve waiting list for all three. I've been into the genre lately - sort of - Lynne Sharon Schwartz's novels and stories read like memoirs, with lots of wicked family lunacy, but tame compared with this guy (no relation to William Burroughs, I take it).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home