One Mean Chickadee

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

You say you want a resolution . . .

Well, you know . . . we'd all love to change the world. Let me be clear on this: I do not believe in resolutions. Nevertheless, it is a new year, and since it's been exactly a month since my last post, it seems as good a time as any to take a step back and do a bit of evaluating.

There's something about that first week of January, isn't there? The holidays are over, and everything is back to "normal," whatever that is, so there's a feeling of living out a slow, almost tangible sigh, of relief, of weariness, of a bit of regret, maybe, for the passing of another year. Also, if you live somewhere like The Big Swing State of Idiots, you are looking at a few months of cold and dreary and dark ahead of you, when everyone kind of hibernates and sleeps and reads and watches T.V., and you're home so much even your pets get sick of looking at you, and you don't get enough exercise, and dammit, there's just nothing to DO here in the winter.

But it doesn't really have to be that way, does it? You can be productive, if you want to and put your mind to it. For example, you can blog . . .

So here I sit, staring at the computer and sucking on a piece of red licorice in lieu of smoking which, as some of you know, Jackspatula and I have "given up" recently.

THIS IS NOT A RESOLUTION.

In preparation for quitting this thing I have been doing for 20 years, I actually bought a self-help book. I loathe self-help books. Inevitably, they contain a paragraph or two of completely obvious, common-sense advice, enveloped by a couple hundred pages of repetitive filler designed, primarily, to make money for the author. In my defense, I did not set out to buy this book--I was just strolling innocently through Barnes & Noble, minding my own business, and the insipid thing kind of jumped out at me, and in a moment of weakness I bought it. I will never buy another self-help book.

THIS IS NOT A RESOLUTION.

To drive home to you, dear reader, just how stupid it was of me to buy this book, I will share the title with you. The title is, "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking." Yeah, I know. As anyone who has ever smoked (and many who have never smoked) will tell you, there is no easy way to stop smoking. I know this. Man, do I know this. I knew this when I bought the book. But honestly, aren't you a tiny bit curious about what this "easy way" might entail? Allow me to save you $15 and let the cat out of the bag right now. According to the book's author, Allen Carr (who actually trademarked the "Allen Carr EasyWay to Stop Smoking), becoming a nonsmoker involves two simple steps:

1. Make the decision that you are never going to smoke again.
2. Don't mope about it. Rejoice!

Seriously, that's the entire "EasyWay." I would like to humbly add another step:

3. Whenever you have a craving, take your useless copy of "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" and hit Allen Carr over the head with it. Repeat as necessary.

Of course, going on my own experience, old Allen would soon have a concussion or would be dead after day 1, so maybe #3 isn't a good idea.

Seriously, his basic theme is that you are not "giving up" anything, but rather, you are gaining--health, wealth, gratitude of loved ones, etc. (True enough.) He goes on and on about how you shouldn't feel deprived at all, because you are actually becoming "liberated" from the "crushing prison" of the "evil weed." (I've been expecting to start feeling like Nelson Mandela at any moment, but so far, nothing.) He also states repeatedly that it is a myth that smoking is "pleasurable," and instead says that it is a "devastating drug addiction."

O.K., I can see his points (which are no great revelation in the first place), but the problem is that his basic dichotomy is flawed. The terms "pleasurable" and "addiction," you see, are not mutually exclusive--there is such a thing as a pleasurable addiction! Which is what smoking is for a lot of people, and what it was for me for a long time! So although I am quitting, and there are many reasons for doing so, and I'm doing it of my own free will, I'm NOT going to fucking "rejoice" about it Allen Carr you stupid annoying idiot!!!

One last comment, and then I'll let it go. Allen Carr is, in fact, a former smoker, and before he quit, he was smoking 100 cigarettes a day. That's five packs. Five packs a day! I think if I was smoking that much, I too might rejoice. . . that I could breathe again. Not only would his habit have entailed him having a cigarette in his mouth pretty much every waking moment, he would have been spending about $15 a day on smokes. Those of us who smoked less than a pack a day can't really relate to his sentiments of "liberation." At least he's recouping all that money through sales of this stupid book.

Anyhoo, I vow, dear reader, not to let another month go by between posts.

THIS IS NOT A RESOLUTION.

[Confidential to Lulu: I am older than you. If you don't stop writing in your blog about how you are "too old" to do this and "too old" to do that, I'm going to hit you over the head with a book.]




3 Comments:

  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger lulu said…

    Hey! What the hell? I was going to congratulate you and JS for doing the tough, tough thing that you are doing, and then I find myself threatened with violence!

    I feel quite justified in saying that I am "too old" to sleep on an air mattress. First of all, I get to write whatever I want in my blog. Secondly, it's not that my body cannot withstand the punishment (it can). However, I am a 34-year-old married mother, gainfully employed, with a bed and bedding that set me back nearly $1,300, and I chafe at the assumption by my elders that, just because I am of the younger generation, that I am a "kid" and will be comfortable sleeping on the floor for four nights like some college puke. It had nothing to do with feeling geriatric, which I most certainly do not.

     
  • At 4:04 PM, Blogger Sven Golly said…

    Impressive bit of irresolution there. You did like a thousand words on NOT resolving to do something. Which strikes me as very deep, very Taoist, in a "doing by not doing" kinda way. Yeah. So good for you and Jackspat! I affirm and support your blogging your blues away while you go cold-turkey in the rainy, gray, swing-state winter.

    I was in Barnes and Noble the other day, and like you I was repelled by shelf after shelf of "self-help" books, the only accurately titled one's being the Idiot's Guide... and ...for Dummies. In fact, the whole store seems to have devolved to something like the Barnes and Noble Idiot's Bookstore. It took me an hour to find a dictionary (second floor, back by the restrooms), but maybe that's just me.

    But your main point - that the whole Easy Way to (fill in goal here: stop smoking, lose weight, get in shape, overcome addiction/habit of your choice, find god, become enlightened, organize your life, succeed in business, blah blah blah) is a crock - couldn't be more true. And I too find the new year an exciting, adventurous time, and I can't wait to find out what new vices will replace the old vices I'm now working hard on giving up.

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger David said…

    Hey! Way to go on many levels Flip:

    quitting smoking
    posting again (it's not the quantity, it's the quality)
    laying some smack down on LuLu--always good (just kiddin' Lu . . .)

    But, I've also gotta say "What the hell?!" here. Who is Christine and why isn't she reading MY blog if she's reading Lulu? Seriously, I've gotta find out!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home